Introduction to a Hot Cheetos Loving, Procrastinator

 Hello! My name is Long, I'm currently a senior studying Microbiology Pre-Med route, and might I say, time has been going by way too fast for me right now. I remember just yesterday that I was a freshman entering the campus in Fall 2017 without a clue as to where my classes were. But, here we are, 5 semesters later, and I guess there's nothing you can do about it but try your best to catch up! Am I right? In the past two semesters, something that I was proud about was the matter that I achieved a 4.0 GPA in both of my busiest semesters of college so far. I know I'm giving myself a pat on the back right now, but seriously at some points during those semesters, I contemplated ripping off all my hair. I can say that, for me, 2019 has been a year of work after work after work, I couldn't find any time for myself. Spring 2019 I was pledging a fraternity. In summer, I was taking biochemistry every weekday for 2 months. And Fall 2019, I busied myself with 5 science-related classes. And if you're asking right now how I survived, well, the answer is I took plenty of naps and used procrastination to my advantage.


In terms of my career goals, of course, the goal of every single pre-med student at any college is to attend medical school after their undergraduate and eventually become a doctor in any way, shape, or form. I recently took the MCAT, and just waiting for the results by the time I'm publishing this post, so please wish me luck! I haven't decided what the general field I want to do, but I guess that's what medical school is for, right? Here's an interesting painting of what I would later want to become, if I lived in the late 1800's!


(The Doctor Luke Fildes. Source: Wikimedia)

Let's get more personal! I have a strange addiction to eating chicken in any way, shape, or form. My friends and parents say that it's a little unhealthy, but really, I can't help myself. On the other end of the spectrum, I dislike many foods, and most likely, they're green. This will include, but not limited to, bitter melon, beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchinis, etc. In addition, I also pride myself on my addiction to chips, which I enjoy with almost every meal. It always feels like something's missing if I don't have that sort of flavor! In terms of other favorites, my favorite TV shows include Game of Thrones, Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, and I'm currently on season 1 of Witcher right now! My taste in music expands across all spectrums, most days I listen to rap/hip-hop, but my choice in music changes with the the situation that I'm in, and that includes R&B, pop, alternative, classical, and classic oldies. Here's a photo of Frank Sinatra, one of one of my favorite artists from then.


(Frank Sinatra '57. Source: Wikimedia)

I think this will do for a short introduction of myself! In summary, I consider myself a very relaxed person, I often leave things last minute to do just as many college students, and I'm obsessed with chicken, especially fried. I think the latter should be something you should take from this short conversation with me. Even though it's going to be rough one, I hope it will be one of the best semesters yet!

Comments

  1. And here we are: it's deja-vu all over again, Long! But this time around I can connect what I'm reading here to an actual person, not just a name on the roster, so yay for the second time around! And ALL of the students graduating this year deserve an extra pat on the back for being the pandemic graduates... especially those of you going into the medical professions: your service and dedication is needed now more than ever! And yay for all the great TV shows to gobble up whatever free time we can find: I loved Breaking Bad, and I think I liked Better Call Saul even better (I love tricksters, and he is a quintessential trickster!). I haven't done Witcher, but I'm going to enjoy that -- I've read some of Sapkowski's books; I was actually a Polish major in college, so it's been exciting to see an author from Poland become such a global phenomenon! So, I'm thinking good thoughts for your MCAT results... and wishing you lots of Hot Cheetos as needed in the meantime while you're waiting ha ha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Long!

    I, too, enjoy chicken and hot cheetos with a burning (yes, pun-intended) passion! Have you tried Wing It in Norman? It combines your two favorites of spicy and chicken! I am glad we share similarities in both majors and potential career paths, it is always nice to see someone else sharing these qualities with myself! I am proud of you for being able to pull off a 4.0 semester, and I know you will be able to do that again. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Long! That is amazing that you got a 4.0! Wishing you good vibes on your MCAT. I am also Pre-Med and a senior. I agree. I CANNOT believe that we are already almost done. I love bitter melon. I know it's an unpopular opinion. Fried chicken is delicious. YUM! You seem really open and chill. I hope you are having a chill semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I'm a senior as well, and I completely understand what you mean. Time has flown by, and I remember moving into my dorm room like it was yesterday. That is super impressive that you've maintained a 4.0 GPA. Yes, I am totally obsessed with Frank Sinatra. I sware I was born in the wrong time period. There are so many of his songs I love.

    Some of my favorite songs of his are Fly Me to the Moon, Oh Look at Me Now, My Funny Valentine, Old Devil Moon, and his version of As Time Goes By from Casablanca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Long,
    Hoping your MCAT score came in and you were satisfied with it. And if not, you can always try again (that's the approach I have to use, try try try again). I considered going to medical school, but the commitment was too much for me so I decided on the PA school track. I'm currently a fifth year senior, and seeing all the young freshman run around the oval is truly aging me drastically. I hope they enjoy it, because like you said, time literally flies by when you're in college.
    I feel like we definitely have the same eating habits. I LOVE chicken, I could eat it every day. And sometimes I do end up doing that! I'm super picky when it comes to food and I compare my eating habits to a 5 year old toddler. My main food groups are: chicken, pizza, any form of potatoes, and queso. I don't really like to branch out outside of those. Clearly, I'm not good at dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Long! I love your title as I am a fellow hot cheeto lover and procrastinator myself. That is amazing that you have gotten a 4.0, so happy for you and all your accomplishments! I hope your MCAT score was what you wanted! I am also a senior and I just can't believe how fast the years have gone by. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey to medical school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Long :)
    Your love of chicken and chips reminds me so much of my wife, she's addicted to both, too! I think that's awesome you kept your head up and achieved a 4.0; you have every right to pat yourself on the back. Doing that is hard! I'm sure you did awesome on your MCAT. Hopefully, you've gotten the results by now! What area of medicine are you looking to go into?
    It's also awesome to find someone who loves a really wide range of music, including some of the older artists like Sinatra! I'm of the belief that good music is good music, regardless of genre, and it looks like you feel the same way, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, it seems as if your collegiate career has been very eventful especially when it comes to school. Also achieving. 4.0 at any time is such a great achievement and you should be very proud of yourself! Goodluck with med school and finding your passion. I would also consider myself a picking eater, but I am trying my best to expand my horizons and so far I think I am doing pretty good. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long, I liked reading your introduction a lot! I too, love chicken. As a freshman, I basically lived in the Canes on campus. Also I understand how difficult your major is - my roommate is microbiology, pre-med as well. She is always studying and working on stuff. As a Letters major, I think my classes are a little more chill. Props to you for getting 4.0s during your busiest semesters, that's no easy feat! Congrats on making it to senior year - I am so ready to graduate! And good luck with the rest of this class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Long!

    Go you for being a pre-med major! That takes some real commitment and I know that I wouldn't be able to do it. Your passion for chicken also cracked me up because same! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're eating too much chicken, ha ha. Good luck to you and I hope you score well on the MCAT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story