Week 2 Story

 The Lion in Love

Once upon a time, there was a Lion, who was became madly in love with a human woman and had proposed the question of marriage to her parents. Seeing that the King of the Beast was at their door and asking for the hand of their daughter for marriage, they didn't know how to decline. The woman's parents did not want to anger the King of the Beasts

Finally, the woman's father told the Lion, "We are honored by your interest in our daughter. However, seeing that she is small and weak, we fear that your own affection for our daughter can end up hurting her. Being that is the case, would you be willing to clip you claws and remove your fangs? Surely we would reconsider."

The Lion, being so madly in love, did exactly what the parents of the woman asked. He went and got his sharp claws clipped and his large fangs removed. However, when he came back to the parents of the woman, the parents merely laughed in front of his face and denied them of his proposal. Now that he was powerless due to his clipped claws and fangs, the parents were no longer afraid of the King of the Beast.

Hearing this, the Lion was upset. He was embarrassed. He cannot believe that he was so blindly in love with this woman, that he allowed other humans to trick him into agreeing to voluntarily remove his own fangs and claws. After that day, he had never loved another woman again.

Love can tame the wildest, as Love is blind.


(The Lion After Clipping His Nails and Fangs. Source: Tenniel)


Author's Note: This story was a recreation from the Fables of Aesop, which included the original rendition of "The Lion in Love." After reading the short fable, I felt like the lesson and the ending of the story could be extended, Here, I added a paragraph after the ending of the original story, explaining what would happen to the Lion of after the rejection from the woman's parents, which I think adds a little more context to the ending of the story.

Comments

  1. Hey, Long!

    I like how you included both dialogue and the lion's thoughts in your story; I think these elements add to it and help the reader engage. I think it would've been cool to include some more about the daughter and how she felt about the situation—expanding more on what happened to the lion after the parents tricked him would've added to the plot, too (I know I wanted him to take some sort of revenge on the parents or for the girl to run off with him anyway haha). Maybe another thing you could've added would be information about how the lion and the girl met, or how the lion fell in love with the girl. I wanted to know more about the characters when I finished your story! After reading the original fable, I think you did an excellent job maintaining its integrity while adding details to make it more interesting. Good luck with all of your future stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I liked how you approached this story. It kept me wanting to read what happened. I wanted to know what happened with the lion and the parents. I was sad at the end when he said he would never love again. I am curious to what the daughter was thinking at what her parents did, because it was not very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Long! I like the conclusion of this story. It was not clear in the original story what the Lion did after being humiliated. All it did was make us sad for the Lion. I liked how rather than just feeling bad for the Lion that your story shows that the Lion was strong. He did not cry; he was just embarrassed and learned a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I like your version of the story, and I especially like how you added your own extend portion to the story. I agree with your observation the original story need to have complete closure or a lesson learned. I like the tragic romance angle you added where the lion would never love again. Adding dialogue was a great choice to add more insight into the character's views and opinions.

    If I may make a suggestion? I've like to see you expand on the story as a whole by possibly going into the lion head and seeing his perspective. Or even the daughter the lion loved. The addition of her character could make your story more depth and a personality.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I also really enjoyed reading this fable. I found the idea of the parents asking the lion to change who he was quite ridiculous and I also retold this story. They turned out totally different even though they're based off of the same story! I think your additions to the original were a smart move, after reading it myself I wanted a little more clarity as well. I wonder why the parents basically laughed at the lion? That could be an interesting point to consider. Why were they so hostile? Do they have something personal against the lion? Another suggestion I thought of was, what if they ran away together and found somewhere they could live happily ever after. I considered this when I was retelling the story, and I'm a huge fan of the "Happily Ever After" concept. But anyway you decide to tell the story I'm sure will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi long,
    I enjoyed reading your story, I like how you added dialogue between the parents and the lion. Reading their dialogue made me feel present in the story. I really wished the parents told no to the lion since the beginning. I felt bad for the lion. Because i sucker for happy ending stories, i would suggest to make the daughter look for the lion and go show her parents that she loves the lion and it's with him that he wants to be. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hot Cheetos Loving, Procrastinator