Growth Mindset

 From what I've seen of growth mindset up to now, I can see that there's been implementation of it in my high school years as well as the time I've spent in college. I haven't before heard of Carol Dweck, but have definitely been aware and familiar with her work. Personally, on the growth-fixed mindset, I consider myself to be more on the fixed side of the spectrum. Dweck was right, I was raised in, not just an educational environment, but at a home environment where the idea of getting an A in the class was top priority. This wasn't to say that of course, the main goal was to get the most of learning the material itself, but it has insinuated me the idea that I HAVE to get the A, no matter what it took. Of course, I see this as the issue that students can resort to cheating, skimming, and dread the idea of actually learning and applying the concept themselves. They think too narrowly, only enough to do well on the nearest quiz or exam and then never reapplying that afterwards. I know this very well because I was once that student, and am realizing those mistakes now as I prepare for the MCAT, which comprises of all the material you've learned over the course of my college career.



(A Student Cheating. Source: Vox)

In terms of changing my way of looking at it, I've been trying to learn the material not only for the aspect of getting an A on the test, but reapplying that whenever I can so I can do well on my long-term endeavors. Sure, an A is a flex on a resume, but would a patient care that you got A's in college? No, they would want someone who can fully explain the concept to them in an easy-to-understand manner. Therefore, yes, I am more than interested in learning more about the concept of growth mindset as I feel it is something worth keeping in my arsenal of learning techniques. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hot Cheetos Loving, Procrastinator

Week 2 Story